Friday, December 14, 2007

Terry Pratchett

I read "Thief of Time" and "Wyrd Sisters" by Terry Pratchett after seeing his name so often on the Shelfari lists. It was my first foray into his writing and I must say, he has a very clever way with words. The stories take place on Discworld, a fantasy land of witches, ghosts, magic, and assorted odd characters. Although I liked the books, I did not LOVE the books. I was saddened to hear that Terry has early onset Alzheimer's disease. For his many fans, I hope he has many books left to write. "Wyrd Sisters" is about a coven of witches who never hold meetings, but become involved with the murder of the King and hiding his son and heir. "Thief of Time" is about a clockmaker who creates a glass clock that stops time and could result in the end of everything. I especially liked Death trying to convince the other "Horsemen" to join him for the apocalypse. Very funny stuff! I was surprised when my son told me that he had read Pratchett and had really enjoyed his play on language. Kids.....ya never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment