Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Children’s Blizzard

I first read about this book at She Treads Softly . It sounded like something I would like since I really liked “Isaacs Storm”. It was a good move!

David Laskin has written the compelling true story of a terrible storm that blew through the Nebraska, Dakota territories,this empty prairie, leaving sorrow, and hopelessness in it’s wake.

Life on the prairie was more than difficult for the people from the Ukraine, Norway and Denmark, who, lured by the promise of cheap land, came to America with little more than hope, dreams and faith. Their faith was put to the test on January 13, 1888, when a sunny morning turned to a snowy,blowing, hell. Children were trapped in schools, fathers were trapped in fields, mothers were unable to find their way to the barns. Food was scarce, heat was even more scarce, with many of the poor farmers using twisted straw, and bones to heat their homes.

The harrowing story, told in meticulous detail, will chill you and make your heart ache, but faith pulled these people through, and this is an amazing account of the grit and the courage of our ancestors, who paved the way for future generations.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, good, I'm so glad you liked this one. I got a copy from PBS and it's just been sitting. I think somebody's review made me a little nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...I didn't know about this blizzard. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete