Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Salon- At long Last


I finally found the third installment of Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein trilogy, Dead and Alive. It seems we waited years; oh that’s right, we did. He sure seems to like making us wait and wait for sequels to some of his books. It’s been many years since the Christopher Snow books, and the third has been in progress for a decade or more.

For those who haven’t read them, Koontz’s books offer a modern take on the Frankenstein story. Set in New Orleans, Dr. Frankenstein is now known as Victor Helios, an evil genius, who plans to take over the world with his creations. Carson O’Connor and her partner Michael Maddison are police detectives who are on the trail of the madman. Deucalion was the first “Monster”, has lived 200 years and helps the detectives try to stop Helios.

While Helios is plotting to replace all the important people in New Orleans, with his creations, his creations are trying to find a way to destroy him.

I really liked this series and the way Koontz brought the classic story into modern times. I wish it would go on and on, because I loved the Deucalion character. He was just fascinating.

If you like a modern spooky story, check out this series. You just might like it!

I purchased this book for my husband at The Tattered Cover Bookstore.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting take on an old story. Is there anybody else out there who always feels sorry for the Doctor's Creation? I can remember watching the films when I was younger and breaking my heart over the fate of the 'monster'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title is a little awkward with Koontz's last name in there in the possessive. But I guess there wasn't any other option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always felt sorry for the Monster. His eyes were just so sad.

    ReplyDelete