Monday, July 14, 2008

Catching Up

After reading sad books, I decided to go to the library and find some happy books. I started Gods and Generals, which is an excellent book about the Civil War, but I knew it would not end well for someone, so I stopped for a while, instead reading "Lethally Blonde" by Kate White and "When the Astors Owned New York" by Justin Kaplan, and "Wife Living Dangerously" by Sara Susannah Katz.

Kate White has a terrific character in Bailey Weggens, celebrity crime reporter. She struggles with her love life between death defying adventures, never missing a deadline. She makes me laugh, which is a very good thing. While helping an old actor flame search for his friend, another actor, Bailey is put in jeopardy once again, emerging battered and wiser.

Justin Kaplan has captured the Gilded Age perfectly in "When the Astors Owned New York". The opulence and overindulgence of the cream of the crop, is astounding. I love the "America's Castles" series on A&E, so this book is a perfect fit. I love the era, and sometimes wish I had lived then, but with my luck, I'd have been a poor chambermaid.

"Wife Living Dangerously" was a very funny book. A wife who always plays it safe and is a "good girl" snaps, when her friends think she is boring. It starts out small, lying to her husband about a rat, that she passes off as a hairless guinea pig, and escalates from there. It says a lot about peer pressure, and the lengths we go to in order to add some spice to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment