Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cell- Stephen King

C_0743292332 cell

I confess, I used to be a huge Stephen King fan. Over the years, I drifted away, maybe because of the sameness, maybe I just got grossed out. My departure started with "Pet Sematary", when a child was brutally killed by a truck and I just couldn't read any more of his books. Why I picked up "Cell", I don't know, but I am glad I did. Although in the beginning a dog was bitten by a man, and it was obvious children were being killed off, as well as a lot of other people, I really got into it and in the end, I really liked it. Reminiscent of "The Stand" (one of my favorite books) it deals with a "pulse" transmitted through cell phones, which everyone has, turning the public into crazy, walking flocks of zombie-like creatures. The heroes of the piece are of course the folks who do not have cell phones, who still manage to get around, and try to save the day. It shows us that technology gone wrong could be the death of us all. A good scary book for a cloudy, muggy day.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you just needed a break from him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what I've read of King, but I've barely cracked the canon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zeke- I am glad to find someone else who liked this one. A lot of folks are down on prolific writers like King.
    Bookfool- I really needed a break from him, but found I missed him a little, like that pain you get used to.
    Bybee- You have some good reading in front of you! And I have catch up to do as well.

    ReplyDelete