Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I am Haunted

I've always been a sucker for a ghost story. Even as a kid, around a campfire, shivering with excitement, waiting to be scared out of my wits, I listened with rapt anticipation.

As someone who was not a fan of "The Time Travelers Wife", I was a little reluctant to try "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger. When I found it on the "lucky day" shelf at the library, I thought, what the hell, I will give it a try.

Now I am haunted, really haunted, by the story of two sets of twins, one set middle aged and one set just beginning their adult lives. Secrets kept for decades, and the consequences of those secrets, are haunting me.

What really interested me, the haunting plot, were the descriptions of the Highgate cemetery, and the people buried there. Sometimes I think I care more about the places in books more than the people. I guess it is my form of travel, enticing me past my front door. I need to digest awhile, before a more complete review comes. Maybe when I am less haunted, and have more time in the light, I will be able to give it the review it deserves.

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way after reading it. I also was very drawn to Highgate Cemetery and the history part of it. I have always been interested in cemetery's historically and symbolically...I find it fascinating. So glad you gave it a try! Look forward to the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to read this book but I havne't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds great- i'm glad you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete