Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crazy Heart

Thomas Cobb is one terrific writer!

Bad Blake is a country singer/songwriter on his way down the ladder of success.He is broken, down physically and emotionally. He drinks too much, smokes too much, has a bad ticker, has been through several wives and many lovers, working cheap bars, remembering the high life. When he is forced (for financial reasons) to open for the singer he mentored to success, he seems more broken than ever. When he meets a woman and her son, Bad wants to change. Can he?

Cobb has written his story so well, you can smell the stale beer, and cigarette smoke as you read.

His characters are so richly drawn, and multi -layered you feel every pain, emotional as well as physical. I can hardly wait to see the movie, since I pictured Jeff Bridges all the way through. (I had my own head movie)

You just have to read this book. Even if you do not want to see the movie, this book is so good, I highly recommend it.

I received this from Harper Perennial. Thank you so much, it was wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this as a library book when it first came out (1987?)...but don't remember anything about it. Hoping to find and reread soon (I guess it's been reissued because of the movie). Can't resist reading about C&W nor a protaganist called Bad Blake.

    ReplyDelete