Monday, March 15, 2010

The Lumby Lines

Gail Fraser has written a very clever, funny book, "The Lumby Lines". Lumby is a quirky town, full of quirky people, nestled in the Northwest, and about to be shaken up. Not just because the orchard has been painted bright blue, not because a dog has been elected mayor, not because a large pink flamingo named Hank keeps changing his clothes, but because some outsiders are moving in.

Mark and Pam Walker have been vacationing in Lumby regularly, from Falls Church Virginia, and suddenly decide to buy and restore the burned out Montis Abbey. The plan, such as it is, is to turn it into an inn and restaurant. They have no experience, and very different ideas about what "living richly" means.

Mark, a landscape architect, is thrilled, but Pam is having second thoughts as costs escalate, and time flies by. Considered outsiders, they try to make friends with the odd and often hilarious residents of Lumby and get their business off the ground.

This book is part of a series and the small town life described leaves me both wanting to move there, or run screaming back to a city. I want the rest of the series--this is so funny and clever, it just made my day!

I received this book from Caitlin at FSB Associates. Thank you!!



1 comment:

  1. I like quirky. Ma-in-law has this series of books and I've never fancied reading them. Rather bad (and kind of silly) of me I know but the covers have always put me off and, to be honest all the blurb, didn't help, nothing inspiring there. Your review has made me reconsider though, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete