Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Emperor's Children - How Shallow are they?

Okay...maybe I am not as smart as I thought I was, but I found this book boring, shallow and very disappointing. If this is any indication of the 30 somethings coming up behind us, then heaven help us all. In the age of "celebutaunts" and ET news (or the Anna Nicole Show, as my husband calls it), all hope is gone. I could have cared less about the characters in this book. I found the writing pretentious and utterly stultifying. It was very difficult to read when I just wanted it to end.

For a happy change of pace I read "Bloody Mary" by JA Konrath. I love these characters and the story lines are fun and fast paced.

I am about halfway through "Blindness" by Jose Saramago. I know this book disturbs a lot of readers, but I am really loving it. It is stirring me in a strange way that I will write about if the feeling continues. This is definitely not a happy, cozy story but it is one that needed telling.

1 comment:

  1. I've read more reviews that find the characters offensive and boring than positive reviews. I know book critics are annoyed with bloggers, but sometimes the tendency of critics to praise certain books meets the reality of word-of-mouth.

    ReplyDelete