Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Sandwich or a Slap Upside the Head?


"Hunger" by Knut Hamsun is an infuriating book, in that the main character is either completely deluded or amazingly generous. A writer in Norway, he is on the brink of starvation, selling his every possession, down to the buttons on his coat, his writing, for tiny sums, and giving a great deal of his minuscule income away. Freezing and so hungry he is delusional, he even goes so far as to request a bed in a cell at the police station, saying he has lost his key and needs a place to sleep, and refusing the breakfast offered. I was frustrated by his lack of self preservation, but I admired his single minded pursuit of a writing career. I wanted to give him a sandwich or at least a coat.(or a slap upside his head) He gives strangers money he cannot afford, and suffers greatly for his generosity. He is a frustrating character, but a very well written one. It is said that this may be an autobiographical piece, and I hope things were not so terrible for the author. Written in the 1890's it is hard in this time of plenty to imagine the poverty and hunger portrayed, but I really liked this classic!

Jane Austin- A Life- by Claire Tomalin was a harder read. There was so much background and family intrigue that made up her life, that by the time I was within the last 50 pages, I swore if she didn't die or do something soon, I would kill her myself! The print was tiny and the prose lengthy, but I plowed through. I do not remember the last time I had so much trouble getting through a book. It was an interesting time, however, hard to imagine being the unmarried aunt in a time when you had to depend on the kindness of brothers and fathers, and uncles for every penny. As an unconventional woman, passing on a marriage to pursue her writing, Jane was brave as well as brilliant. She added her take on life to her writings and left us all the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment