Friday, November 19, 2010

Ark Angel-Anthony Horowitz

So last week my granddaughter comes home from 5th grade and says "I got you a book from my school library". I explained that I had a lot to read but thanked her for thinking of me. The look on her face was too much (they sure know what buttons to push) so I said that I thought I could work it in. Big print...yes!!!!

Of my two granddaughters, she is NOT my big reader, so I was surprised. Maybe they read it in class, but she couldn't or wouldn't say why this particular book. After my comments left on blogs last week about reading a series in order, my cheeks got pink to start in the middle of this series, but not being a prepubescent boy, I had never heard of Alex Rider. Amazingly, this was a really fun book!

Alex Rider is 14 and a British spy. He has all the cool James Bond toys and travels all over the world and beyond. It is not written in a childish way, and is a rousing good mystery/adventure style that would certainly hold the attention of any boy or girl . This book begins with Alex in the hospital recovering from a gunshot wound, when he meets the boy in the next room, Paul Drevon, son if a Russian billionaire. Nikolei Drevon has teamed with the British government to build the first hotel in outer space, but is being plagued by an eco-terrorist group, Force Three, lead by Kaspar, a freakish, tattooed, evil, killer. Alex finds himself kidnapped by mistake, daringly escapes, and goes on to stay with Paul and his father, attempting to make sense of why and who is trying to stop the project dubbed Ark Angel.

There is violence in this book, but nothing over the top, and I cannot remember one bit of sex, so I think it is recommended for the late elementary age. I was intrigued by the premise and since this was new to me, I may look for other Alex Rider books to read and discuss with GD2. It was a fast read (one day) and if you have any doubt, you can pre-read.

I received this book from the Bear Canyon Elementary Library, via GD2. Thanks kiddo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment