Sunday, February 06, 2011

Just Kids- Patti Smith

Reading this book was like listening to a wonderful song. It is so lyrical, and well done, it felt like poetry.

"Just Kids" is the story of two artists, Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. Patti met Robert when they were both young, and broke on the streets of New York City and formed an unbreakable bond. From tiny apartments to the Chelsea Hotel, and on to fame, they stayed together through thick and thin. Lovers came and went, jobs, apartments and struggles followed them, but they pursued their art, each in their own way, but always together, keeping a vow they made when they were just kids.

The combination of art, music and poetry is irresistible. And oh the people they knew. It is just amazing to read the stories of people we have known about for years.

I loved this book, and found myself stalling as I neared the end, wanting it to go on and on. Patti Smith made me want to go back to being young and to join them in the joy and amazing times they shared. This book won the National Book Award, and it was well deserved. Bravo!!

I purchased this book from The Tattered Cover, my favorite bookstore.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, I have a friend who would love this.

    ReplyDelete