Thursday, October 06, 2011

The Girls from Ames-Jeffrey Zaslow

This is a wonderful book about women and friendship. I have written before about not having many friends, but this book made me want to call all of my friends from school and catch up!.

The book takes place at a reunion for a group of girls who became friends as youngsters and teens, now in their 40's. They shared the usual angst as children, with petty squabbles. hurt feelings, joy and that closeness that it seems only young girls can achieve.

Remember saying we will be friends forever? We will be in each others weddings? We will live next door to each other and have our kids at the same time?  I remember all of those things. This book brought it all rushing back.

When they grew up and moved for marriages and jobs, they still kept in touch, through letters and then e-mails.Meeting regularly let them stay close, and they were always there for each other.

The book showed the difference between the way men and women make and keep friends. I wish I could have maintained my friendships the way these women did. I envy them!

This book is for anyone who has friends, wants friends, and has lost friends....in other words.....for everyone.
Heartwarming, funny, sad, this book really affected me. I miss what I have lost.

I got this book from my local library.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a winner, thanks for the recommendation. I was reunited with two of my school friends last year thanks to FB and would love to know what several others are now doing.

    ReplyDelete